An estimated 1-2 million children sustain concussions each year in North America, but many of these head injuries aren’t treated in a health care setting. That’s why it’s important for parents to be aware of the signs of a concussion, and what to do if they suspect their child has one.
One clue a child has a concussion: visual symptoms.
Vision problems following a concussion are very common, which should come as no surprise considering that about 70% of the brain is used for visual processing. If you think your child has sustained a concussion, or complains about their vision following a head injury, contact Switalski Eye Care in East Plano for a prompt evaluation.
What is a Concussion?
A concussion is a type of brain injury that occurs when the soft brain tissue hits the inside of the skull. This happens due to a bump or blow to the head, falling, accidents or sports injuries.
Concussions can damage neurons and reduce brain function, especially when it comes to the visual system. Some symptoms of a concussion in babies and children include:
- Excessive crying and irritability
- Nausea and vomiting
- Bumps and bruises on the head
- Sleep or behavioral changes
- Balance problems
- Double vision
- sensitivity to light and noise
- Difficulty concentrating or remembering
Symptoms can appear hours or days after a concussion, making it crucial to keep a close eye on a child after a traumatic head injury.
What To Do If Your Child Is Showing Signs of a Concussion
- Go to the nearest emergency room if your child displays any of the following signs after head trauma:
- Loss of consciousness
- Difficulty walking
- Slurred speech
- Contact your doctor about your child’s condition and ask what to do next.
- Keep a close eye on your child for the next several days to notice any changes in behavioral patterns.
- Schedule a functional visual evaluation with your optometrist to identify and treat any visual problems caused by the concussion.
Our friendly and experienced eye doctors in Calgary will be happy to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have about your child’s visual health. To schedule an eye exam or learn more about what we offer, call Switalski Eye Care in East Plano today!
At Switalski Eye Care, we put your family's needs first. Talk to us about how we can help you maintain healthy vision. Call us today: 855-847-4686 or book an appointment online to see one of our East Plano eye doctors.
Want to Learn More? Read on!