If you’re considering laser vision correction, you’re probably wondering about LASIK recovery. While some degree of discomfort after LASIK is normal, it’s usually mild and manageable. Most patients report feelings of soreness, not full-fledged pain. Uncomfortable symptoms are usually short-lived, changing to mild irritation as healing progresses. Our Lewisville eye doctor shares some helpful tips to promote a smooth, easy recovery.
7 LASIK Recovery Tips
- Rest: To promote optimal healing, our Lewisville optometrist recommends taking it easy for the first day or two after surgery. Avoid reading, using the computer or mobile device, watching TV or anything that could strain your eyes. It’s also best to avoid vigorous physical activity; take a break from sports and exercise.
- Take Pain Relievers: Taking pain relievers as directed will help minimize discomfort as soon as it appears. Generally, it’s not necessary to take large doses because the symptoms tend to be mild.
- Shield Your Eyes: You will be given protective goggles to wear to prevent you from accidentally rubbing your eyes or allowing anything to come into contact with your eye. Generally, eye shields are worn all day for the first day, and then only nightly for the next several days.
- Keep Your Eyes Clean: Even after you’ve been instructed you can remove the eye shield, don’t touch or rub your eyes. Also, don’t apply eye makeup, and avoid spreading lotions and creams around your eyes. Take baths instead of showers, to prevent water from dripping into your eyes.
- Use Eye Drops: Dry eye attacks are normal as your eyes heal from LASIK. Carry artificial tears lubricating eye drops with you at all times, so you’re always ready to soothe any sudden irritation or itchiness.
- Wear Sun Protection: When outdoors, put on sunglasses and a sun hat; your eyes will be hypersensitive to light for the first few days after LASIK surgery.
- Follow-up Eye Care: Make sure to keep your follow-up eye exams at our Lewisville eye clinic. Checkups are important for monitoring your progress.
At Switalski Eye Care, we put your family's needs first. Talk to us about how we can help you maintain healthy vision. Call us today: 972-424-2019 or book an appointment online to see one of our Plano eye doctors.
Want to Learn More? Read on!